Everyone has heard of, tasted, and made cauliflower every which way, but what about its gorgeous green sister? Why hasn't broccoli become a fun, trendy veg yet? Broccoli rabe almost made it, but kind of died out after it's 15 minutes of fame. Newsflash: this is the recipe that could make broccoli a thing -- so go pick some up and tell your friends. It's creamy, yummy, and GREEN with goodness. Better yet, it's super easy to make using the heat setting on a Vitamix AND it's dairy-free, gluten-free, corn-free, paleo, whole 30, etc. AND it's even vegan should you omit the collagen add-in. That being said, if you're not vegan I highly suggest "mega-ing" this soup up a notch with two scoops of unflavored collagen.
[Serves 2 + lunch leftovers]
- Broccoli (2 large heads)
- Baby spinach
- Shelled Hemp Seeds
- Unflavored Collagen Powder (I used Marine Collagen)
- Olive Oil
- Wash those broccoli heads and cut into smaller broccoli florets. Leave the stem part on as you will be blending, no need for them to go to waste!
- Steam broccoli florets until tender (meaning you can easily glide a fork through them) but still a vibrant green
- While that is steaming throw some water in a tea kettle and bring it to a boil
- Measure out a cup of water
- If you are using collagen in your soup, add to scoops to your cup of water and stir. If you are keeping this meal vegan omit this step
- Throw that gorgeous steamed broccoli in a Vitamix* with the H2O collagen mix (or plain cup of water) and blend until it liquefies
- Then add 1 tablespoon of shelled hemp seeds (for extra nutrients and healthy fat) + 4 handfuls of baby spinach to your broccoli blend
- Blend on high for 4ish minutes until warm
- Add 1 tablespoon of your favorite extra virgin olive oil, salt to taste, and an eight of a cup of parsley
- Blend one last time for just a few seconds and prepare to devour
Serve in a bowl (duh) and top with a drizzle of olive oil, a dash of shelled hemp seeds, and just a bit of parsley. Get ready to share, because even this green goddess soup is boyfriend approved (non-foodies and foodies alike will not believe how creamy this is without dairy!).
Enjoy + eat pretty!
*should you not have a Vitamix on hand, have no fear! You can still make this recipe! Simply follow the instructions and just throw in a sauce pan on medium heat as an extra step at the end until warm :)