I forgot how great the crockpot was. Does that sound completely ridiculous or what? This dish takes just minutes to throw together and it is bound to make your home smell absolutely delightful thanks to the cloves and cardamom! And I know, I know, crockpot meals usually feel very wintery and heavy, but this chicken has flavor, spice, and everything else that's nice for the warmer days ahead. It would also be fabulous with a colorful spring salad. Best of all, it tastes just amazing sans garlic. Though, as with all my low fodmap recipes, please feel free to add garlic to this recipe if your current protocol includes it. I won't lie, it's one of my favorite ingredients and I am REALLY looking forward to reincorporating into my diet in the very near future. But back to this so not jerky, super tender dish...go pick up some chicken (light or dark doesn't matter, I'm just on a dark kick -- strangely enough I feel like my body digests it more easily), chop your herbs, set the clock, and try not to drool the entire afternoon over the aroma.
Ingredients // Pantry items:
- 2+ lbs of skin-on, bone-in chicken (I used legs)
- Habanero chilis
- Fresh ginger root
- Pineapple juice
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Rinse, pat dry, and place and arrange chicken in the crockpot
- De-seed 2 habanero chili peppers and mince the peppers along with approximately a 1 inch nub of ginger root (the goal is to have 1 tablespoon of fresh minced ginger)
- Throw minced peppers and ginger in a bowl with 1/4c of pineapple juice, the juice of 2 limes, 1 teaspoon dry thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon of each of the following spices: cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom
- Give the mixture a good stir and pour over chicken pieces
- Put the lid on and set the crockpot for 5-6 hours
- The chicken is done when it's falling off the bone :)
Enjoy with a light, nutty salad (think arugula) and roasted squash (preferably butternut). The sweet with the spice with the crunch is just PERFECTION, I promise!